Sunday, November 30, 2014

Standing at the Manger: Sunday, Advent 1

Mark 13:24-37

I have to say I'm terrified at what I've undertaken.  It's partly the fear I won't have anything worth saying; but it's also just wondering when I'll find the time each day.  When I committed to this I envisioned writing ahead of time during November, but the month ran away with me.  Now I'm here, in real time, scared.
That seems like an Advent sort of place to be.

Today's Gospel reminds us that we don't know what God is up to, what the schedule is.  Mark suggests that if we pay attention we will recognize the signs, but he can't predict when God will give birth to the new creation.  So for me that raises the question: if I don't see signs, does that mean it's not time, or am I missing something?

I can't be certain of the answer, but I can help myself by sticking close to other people who are watching and waiting.  We can compare notes by worshipping and praying together.  We can help each other stay awake when the idols of money and power tell us to go ahead, take a nap, and let them take care of things.  We can learn to distinguish real life from simulations, real need from addictive craving, real hope from false optimism and complacency.

So look around.  If you aren't concerned and hurting for this world, you aren't paying attention.  But if you are resigned or cynical, you're also not noticing signs of the kingdom.  They shoot up like early spring grass.  They will grow if we tend them.

Where do you see signs of Jesus today?

No comments:

Post a Comment