Saturday, November 28, 2015

First Sunday in Advent


Amos 1:1-5,13-28; 1 Thess. 5:1-11; Luke 21:5-19

And we’re off!  Advent seems like a gentle season, a time of quiet anticipation, but in fact it’s a time of preparation for Christ’s return: a time to pull up our socks and light our lamps and look around for signs.  Our readings throughout will call us to reflect and return to God.
We begin with Amos’ foreboding message: God roars from Zion, speaking punishment for those who have oppressed the poor and helpless (including that “same girl” that “father and son go in to”), and profaned God’s house.  Luke’s Jesus predicts war and famine and earthquake and persecution.  Paul writes of sudden destruction.  The Day of the Lord is not a Hallmark event.  It is a time of accounting and revealing.
If Advent is not a cozy time, neither is it something to fear.  Paul tells us to use the time to encourage one another and build up each other.  If we live well, if we “belong to the day,” we need not fear.  
I spend a lot of time outside in the dark.  The dark is a time for seeing things that we miss during the day, like the moon and the stars.  But even in the dark I aim to “belong to the day.”  Through daily practices of prayer, reflection, service, exercise, and stewardship, I cultivate the light I need to see Jesus coming.  I don't need weapons; I need only protect myself with “faith and love, and . . .  the hope of salvation.”  That’s all!  Just open my heart, stand firm, change my whole life!  

As I begin this Advent journey, I pray that my light is sufficient to illumine my path.  I pray to keep awake, to look for signs of God’s grace, to testify to what I see.  I pray to prepare.  And I pray for all of you.  May God give us grace to encourage one another, and to be encouraged.  Blessed Advent to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment