Tuesday, April 19, 2016

What's in a name?

Last Friday at Coffee Table Communion, inspired by Tabitha’s response when Peter calls her by name (Acts 9:40) and by the Gospel passage where Jesus says that his sheep hear his voice, we spent time sharing stories about our names.  I thought I knew my story, but the group helped me see more.  I hope that my story might spark something for you.

Shane is not the name I was born with; or at least it’s not the name my parents gave me.  My parents named me Barbara.  I couldn’t find a nickname or a version of it that felt right.  Later I learned it means “stranger,” and it matched how I felt.  I just never felt at home with my name.
Then, when I was 11, I saw a woman named Shane.  I knew that was my name; I also knew that only crazy people changed their names.  But inside me, I dreamed of Shane.  She was strong and capable and not afraid.  I would tell myself stories about her, but I never considered changing my name.
In my late twenties I did a lot of therapy.  At some point I decided I could in fact change my name, that it was important.  For my 28th birthday, I legally changed my name to Shane Phelan.  And my whole life changed.  Literally.  Later that year I got sober and returned to graduate school.  I began to build a relationship with God.  Over time I healed in many ways, and my love affair with God deepened.  I got that God loved me too.
It turns out that Shane is a version of John, which means “God is gracious.”  That’s my story.  I went from being a stranger to being a sign of God’s grace.  
I believe that Shane is my God-name, the name by which God was calling me all along.  As long as I said, “that’s not my name,”  I couldn’t hear.  Once I claimed my name, I could hear the call.  I don’t know why or how that works, but it seems right to me.
Years later I struggled with the name “Christian.”  That was the name of persecutors and oppressors.  But eventually I realized it was my name too.  Letting myself answer to that name opened another door of love and joy, beyond what I thought was impossible.  And the joy just keeps coming.
In the book of Revelation we hear that each of us has a secret name.  I suspect that for most of us it’s even a secret to us.  And I don’t know that Shane is my secret name.  But through this experience I’m learning about the power of our names.


What is your name, your true name, your God-name?  Have you heard God whisper it?  Claim it.  Claim it for yourself, and for those whose lives you touch.  Let me know what you find.

No comments:

Post a Comment