Saturday, January 12, 2019

Into the Silence

Well, Christmas season sped by here!  Since Christmas we have led a retreat and also offered talks to the Holy Cross brothers during their long retreat.  There have been other commitments that go with the end of a year.  It's been too busy.  I never seem to learn; everything takes more time to prepare than I expect it to.  But we're done.  All is well.

Now we are beginning five days of silent retreat.  We do this every January, at the Companionary here.  It's a wonderful way to start the new year, even though I'd rather enjoy some warm weather!

I used to strive for balance between work, prayer, rest.  It's elusive for me.  But I'm finding a rhythm, rather than a balance.  There are periods of preparation for retreats, periods of intensive work, periods of rest.  Prayer is a daily return to the ground of being, but my experience of prayer is different depending on how I'm coming to it.  Judging my prayer takes away from my prayer; I come to it each day, each office, as I am.

Today's Eucharistic Gospel is John 3:22-30.  John the Baptist compares himself to the friend of the bridegroom who rejoices to hear the bridegroom's voice.  His message is humility, but as I begin this retreat I really got that I need to listen for the bridegroom's voice.  S/he will speak to me in the silence, if I will listen.  And s/he will speak to you, likewise.

Maybe a silent retreat doesn't appeal to you.  Maybe it does appeal, but you find it daunting.  Start today with a half hour.  Look out the window.  Read some Scripture and let it roll around in you.  Listen.  Your restlessness will teach you, and open the door to something deeper.  You will be renewed, and perhaps you will rejoice.

See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment