Thursday, April 18, 2019

One Body


Today we remember Jesus’ last supper with the disciples, and his prayer that we all be one.  We read Paul’s reminder that as we eat and drink of one bread and cup we are united in Christ.

I am feeling the distance between our Companions today.  I am thrilled that technology enables us to see one another regularly and be together, today I want us all in one room.  I’m grateful that when Ernesto leads his congregation tonight we will be there with him, when Annie and Dario and Diane take their places at the feast we will be there in spirit, that when Lauren prays alone she knows we pray with her.  But I want more.  I want to be in that upper room with them, with our Covenant Group members, with our Coffee Table Communion friends.  I long for that.

So I will remember today, tonight, as I share in food and worship with new friends where I am, that we are all one in the body and blood.  I will be praying for you who read this, that you know you are part of the body of Christ.  And I will be praying that Jesus’ prayer be answered, that we all  become one.  

Jesus also spent some serious time alone beginning on this day.  We live our lives in the tension between being together and alone.  Both are true.  We are alone, unique and separate.  And we are one, part of one creation.  We can escape neither truth.  We are called to live in that both/and mystery.

If you are alone tonight, or with others who do not “discern the body and blood,” know that I am with you in prayer and in spirit.  May you be blessed tonight, and throughout these three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment