Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Third Thursday in Advent (O Adonai)


O Adonai, and leader of the house of Israel, you appeared in the bush to Moses in a flame of fire, and gave him the law on Sinai: come and redeem us with an outstretched arm.
Zech. 4:1-14; Rev. 4:9-5:5; Matthew 25:1-13
I’ve been waiting for weeks for this parable.  It’s the basis for one of my favorite hymns, which you can hear here:
Great song, but the parable is hard.  We’re all taught it’s nice to share, to be generous.  So what’s up with these bridesmaids?  Why does Jesus commend them?  What does he want from us?
It’s important to remember that parables aren’t exactly literal: they are parabolic, going around something to get to something.  The kingdom of God is “like this”: it isn’t “this.”  That said, what is Jesus trying to say?
Another spiritual truth.  If I do not keep my lamp trimmed and my oil full, I’m likely to miss the party.  No one else can fill my empty lamp; everyone has to walk their own path, do their own work.  The wise don’t say no because they don’t care; they just know that pouring their energy into people who won’t do their own work is just wasting their resources.  I cannot do your spiritual work for you, nor you for me.  I have to start each day checking my lamp through prayer, reading, holy conversation, service, and stewardship.  I need companions on the way to help me see how my supply of oil is doing, but they cannot fill me.  
If I don’t do these things, one day I’ll miss the opportunity of a lifetime.  I’ll be shut out, not as punishment but as a consequence.  There’s a time for everything, and I need to be able to see and respond.
By telling the story this way, Matthew makes God sound hard-hearted, and Her servants the same.  But it’s a parable.  Behind, around the story is the kernel of truth: Keep awake!

How’s your lamp today?

No comments:

Post a Comment