Monday, December 14, 2015

Third Tuesday in Advent


Zech. 2:1-13; Rev. 3:14-22; Matthew 24:32-44
“No one can celebrate a genuine Christmas without being truly poor.  The self-sufficient, the proud, those who, because they have everything, look down on others, those who have no need even of God - for them there will be no Christmas.  Only the poor, the hungry, those who need someone to come on their behalf, will have that someone.  that someone is God.  Emmanuel, God-with-us.  Without poverty of spirit there can be no abundance of God.”  - Oscar Romero

John writes to a church that has lost its purpose and fervor.  That church says, “I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing.”  John tells them how wretched they are, and advises them to trade in what they have for the true wealth that comes from God.
In the two millennia since, we still don’t get it.  We want to flee our neediness and brokenness.  We love to give, because that makes us feel generous and prosperous; but few of us really love to receive.  We don't want to be indebted - but we are.  My breath, my thoughts, my opportunities come to me through sources beyond myself.  My life is a gift, if I am willing to receive.  If not, I might still have things; I might still have opportunities; but I will not have gratitude.  I will not know God.
“Look!  I am standing at the door, knocking; if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to you and eat with you, and you with me” (Rev. 3:20).  

Let anyone who has an ear listen to what the Spirit is saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment