Friday, October 21, 2016

Open Hands

Tonight we begin leading a retreat about and with Christ Sophia.  As I was praying this morning I wanted a picture of Christ Sophia.  I have electronic images, but the closest material image I have is this risen Christ card.  As I put it on my altar, I noticed the connection between Mary's open hands and Jesus' resurrected openness.  Where did he learn that openness, that posture of display and welcome?  How does his posture change how I see her openness?

These are not postures of submission.  These are postures of gentle strength, a strength that comes from being part of the great circuit of life.  These postures move beyond self to give and receive without resistance.  

We cannot give from a posture of weakness.  Women's forced diminishment (and that of so many others) harms not only individual women, but all those who might learn and grow and create with them.  But being strong does not mean arrogance or pride.  It means being open, knowing that we are up to the challenge, that God is with us, that we are surrounded by love and power.  

Mary, thank you.  Jesus, thank you.  Sophia, thank you.  Holy One, blessed are you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment