Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Fourth Wednesday in Advent: December 21


Zephaniah 3:14-18a; Psalm 33:1-5, 20-22; Luke 1:39-45



This is the most joyful story of the week.  Blessed Elizabeth, who knows a thing or two about being blessed, blesses Mary when they meet.  Mary, who likely felt all alone and confused, who left home “with haste” and went far away to her cousin, is received as a favored one.  In a few sentences, Elizabeth gives Mary a whole new context.  Mary has heard before from Gabriel, but this is the first human, the first ordinary relative, who sees her situation as blessing.  What a relief!  But in another way, what a challenge: for Mary is confirmed that this is not just a bad dream.  Until now she might have thought her period was late, that she dreamed of Gabriel, that it was all heartburn or rationalization or - anything else.  But no, her relative not only confirms the announcement but rejoices in it.

Context is decisive.  A group I work with emphasizes this point in their work with ministers of all sorts.  When we get bogged down in our ministry or mission, it’s often because we’ve framed that in a way that disempowers and discourages us.  The answer is not to “fix” a “problem,” but to shift the context so we can see again why we’re doing what we’re doing, what our purpose and passion are.

Right now I’m writing this reflection.  I could be doing it because I have to, because I’d look bad if I stopped.  I could experience it as a burden.  Or I can be sharing the word of God with others.  I can get to read the Scripture every day, to listen for something worth sharing, to feel the satisfaction of knowing others read it.  I could get discouraged if the number of readers isn’t what I think it should be; or I can be excited that one or two people get something out of it.  Context is decisive.

This is part of the work of spiritual direction.  The question, “Where is God in this?” is a question that shifts context.  The answer is less important than the shift, the reminder that God is in it somewhere.

Elizabeth gives Mary an amazing context.  She is the “mother of my Lord,” blessed because “she believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her by the Lord.”  Wow.  It’s big, but Elizabeth is sure that Mary is up to the task.  As we will see tomorrow, she has inspired Mary to go all out and take her stand with God.

Where does your context need a little shift?  Who helps you with that?  

If you don’t have someone, write me!  Blessed are you.

No comments:

Post a Comment