Monday, December 12, 2016

Third Tuesday in Advent


Zephaniah 3:1-2, 9-13; Psalm 34:1-8; Matthew 21:28-32


Please, God, save me from forgetting.  I spent so many years so far from you, among the tax collectors and prostitutes - really among them, belonging with them.  Gradually I approached you, gingerly and hesitantly; or, rather, you approached me and I stopped running.  And it was hard to turn to you.  My friends didn’t understand; they didn’t seem to miss you or need you.  The people who were there when I got near you weren’t sure what to do with me either: I didn’t dress right or think like them.   To them I was still a tax collector or a prostitute.  But I knew I was a former one; shaped by my experience, but not defined only by that.  And over time I saw that my former life was a gift, bringing compassion and patience for those who were still “out there.”

But God, it could be so easy to become one of the “haughty ones.”  I could forget that you drew me, and take credit for where I am and what I have today.  Please, save me from forgetting.  Save me from pride, from exulting in my own achievements.  Whatever you have to do to get my attention, please do it.  You’ve shown me my weakness many times, in ways I would not choose, and it’s always led me more deeply toward you.  Please, save me from forgetting.
Might this be your psalm too?

I will bless you at all times; your praise shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul boasts only in you; let the other outcasts hear and be glad.
Magnify God with me!  Let’s worship together!
I sought you, and you answered me, and delivered me from all my fears.
When I look to you I am radiant, and never ashamed.
My poor soul cried, and was heard by the LORD, and was saved from trouble.
Your angel encamps around those who fear you, and delivers them.  I’m proof.
Taste and see that God is good!  Happy are those who take refuge in you.


Please, please, please, help me to say yes and mean it!

No comments:

Post a Comment