Saturday, February 18, 2017

February 19: Seventh Sunday in Epiphany



I’m preaching and presiding tomorrow at a church I haven’t been to before.  My sermon will be posted tomorrow.  But I want to write now about the current atmosphere in which preaching happens.  Our society is so charged with anger and fear that it can be paralyzing.  Even in milder times clergy can get nervous about bringing a message to the people: someone might get offended, and cut their pledge or walk out entirely.  Better to not rock the boat.  Some people are blessed with congregations that want to be challenged, but we can’t assume it.

How much more, now?  And how much more, when I don’t know this congregation?  I’m filling in while they’re between priests, but I hope that this will be the beginning of a relationship with those who want a deeper encounter with God in the way the Companions can bring.  We’re scheduled to preach and preside for them through Holy Week into Easter.  What if my message is not welcome there?

Now, I think my message is pretty tame.  I’m walking a line, trying to talk to everyone.  But you just never know anymore who is going to think you’re blaming them or pointing the finger.  There’s poison in the air, and we have to face into it.  We need to put on the armor of God (blatant plug for our upcoming Quiet Day), and continue to be faithful.

I don’t even know if i should be sharing this on this page, but I want those of you who sit and listen to know what’s up for a lot of preachers these days.  I know I’m not alone; I hear it.  Please pray for me, and for all preachers, during these days of division and pain.  Pray that we may be faithful, and that our congregations may hear God’s word through our clumsy phrases.



No comments:

Post a Comment