Wednesday, February 8, 2017

February 9


Mark 7:24-30


This is the Gospel appointed for the daily Eucharist, and it’s a wonderful passage to spend time with.  
Go here to look it up:  http://bible.oremus.org/?ql=353583380 

For you cheaters, this is the story of the Syro-Phoenician woman who talked back to Jesus and taught him about mercy and inclusion: lessons that our world sorely needs right now.  Her daughter is in dire need, and Jesus refuses to heal her because she’s not “our kind.”  He’s not concerned for her.  He builds a wall around his heart, around Judea and Galilee.  He wants to make America - oh, sorry, Israel - great again.  Even though he’s a guest in a foreign country, he disdains the local people.  He sounds like an American tourist!

But the woman isn’t taking no for an answer.  She doesn’t insist that he recognize her humanity; she just asks for the crumbs under the table.  She knows that Jesus has more healing in him than he seems to be aware of.  Jesus is living in an economy of scarcity, but she sees abundance.  There’s enough for the “children” and the “dogs” together.  

It’s extraordinary that Jesus responds to her.  He has just been extremely rude and dismissive, but her simple response changes everything for him.  What does he see?

Years ago I went to a lecture given by a famous French philosopher.  Like many people, I had brought one of his books and I got in line for him to sign it.  He was known for his sympathy for men over women, and I was the only woman in line.  He signed all the men’s books, but when he got to me he demurred.  He pleaded weariness and said, “If I sign this for you, I have to sign for everyone.”  I said, “No, you don’t.”  He looked at me, smiled a little, and signed the book.  I think I was the last one to get a book signed; I can’t be certain.

I always thought that he signed because I was audacious enough to say, “You don’t have to be fair or universal.  Just sign my book.  I’m in your face.”  I don’t know why he signed it; I just like to think that I got through his prepared excuse.  

I think that’s what happened with Jesus and this woman.  He had his excuse prepared, his wall built, and she just got under it and surprised him.  In his surprise he could see her humanity, and respond.

Is there someplace you’ve been building walls or fences?  Has there been a time when you bypassed someone else’s security system to become a child of God for another?  Go, be bold today.  Ask Jesus for what you need.  It’s not too much to claim the crumbs; there really is enough for us all, if we share.



No comments:

Post a Comment