Thursday, November 21, 2019

When You Hear Rumors . . .

Our Sunday Scriptures these last weeks of the season include warnings about the time that is to come, when structures collapse and the natural world seems bent on chaos.  Jesus tells the disciples not to panic, not to believe those who tell them they know the meaning of these events.  But he also makes clear that they mean something.

How appropriate for the month we are having at the Companionary!  Since midnight of November 1, we've seen a torrent of "signs."  Here's a recap:
November 1 - we lost power for 36 hours; internet down for a week.
November 12 - our annual mailing was moving along when the Excel file scrambled all the data, had to be redone.
November 12 - Elizabeth was in a car accident with our new (used) car; she's alright, the car needs help.  No collision insurance.
November 16 - our cat falls sick, goes off to the animal emergency room.  She seems fine now.  Mostly a response to stress!
November 14-21:  the reserve tank from the well starts to struggle.  We schedule the installation of a new tank.  But overnight last night the tank (or the pump) failed entirely.  Plumbers coming later today.  Hoping it's just the tank!

So that's the "woes."  But there are blessings, some of which also can throw me off balance:
November 20 - new windows in the outer office where I (Shane) work and see people.  Chaos, but a wonderful result.
New members are joining the covenant group.
I'm leading one of my favorite groups on retreat this weekend.  I may not be ready, but they will carry it for me.

In the meantime we are preaching and presiding, leading retreats, and seeing people for direction.  And here are some of the blessings:
We've always had a way to see people.  Our neighbors at Holy Cross Monastery kept us warm, accessible, and hydrated.
Each of these could have been much worse!!!
We haven't blown up or gone into a tailspin; we keep laughing.

Now, I don't believe that God sent us these events.  (Maybe the stars, but not God.). But I do believe that God opens doors for us to grow if we choose.  I do believe that resilience is a gift from God.  I do believe that friends and resources are gifts, not of my own deserving or planning.  I do believe that choosing to look for grace in the midst of chaos is my part in the dance.

So: these may not be "the end times," but every day can be the end and the beginning.  We've had so many openings this month, so many chances to see beyond what is crumbling to a greater grace.  I'm confident that this coming year will be full of growth and new awakening.  I hope I get to experience it with heat, water, food, and friends; but I'll take it either way.  What choice do I have?

If you are struggling this month (and I've heard that many people are), know that you are not alone.  And while God may not be "teaching you a lesson," I believe that God is available for instruction and renewal at any time.  Grab it.  If you need help hanging on, reach out.  And wait for December!

No comments:

Post a Comment