Monday, December 2, 2019

Worthy?

I'm inspired to write a bit more during Advent.  Because of technical difficulties with Blogger I may not post everything I write, but I'm grateful for the desire to reflect.

Today the reading for daily Eucharist is Matthew 8:5-13.  The centurion tells Jesus not to bother coming to his house to heal his servant; he trusts that he can heal him wherever he is.  It's an interesting choice to begin Advent.  Why did the framers of the lectionary choose this?  I don't know, really.  But I have the freedom to discover meaning for myself, so I'm pondering.

What strikes me is the centurion's phrase, "I am not worthy to have you come under my roof."  This is used in the Roman Catholic Mass just before receiving communion.   For some it is humbling, an acknowledgement of grace; for others, it lands as humiliating and punishing.  And I wonder, what is it doing here, in Advent?

I think for me the point today is that worthiness is not the point.  Jesus does not heal the servant because the centurion is worthy, or because the servant is worthy.  He does not heal the servant because the centurion expresses his unworthiness.  We may think he heals him because of his great faith, and I think that's Matthew's point.  But for me, today, I hear that Jesus comes because we need him, and because he loves.

Jesus is coming into a world torn by evil, shredded by sin, yet a world full of desire for the good.  Jesus doesn't come because we're worthy, and he won't stay away because we aren't.  If that were so, he would never have been born, for the world has always been what it is.  No, Jesus came because we need him, and because he loves.  He is coming again for the same reason.

So today, perhaps you might begin Advent by asking Jesus for whatever healing you need.  It doesn't have to be dire; it may be as simple as annoyance with a neighbor.  It could be those feelings of unworthiness that paralyze people and keep them from sharing their gifts.  It could be anything.  What in you needs healing?

Blessed Advent to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment