Wednesday, April 22, 2020

God in the Pause

We're into week five of the "pause," and results are beginning to show.  The numbers of new cases, and of deaths, are dropping steadily.  It's still a lot, but it's not like a week ago, not like two weeks ago.  We may have peaked - for now.  I pray over the numbers each day, over the people they report, and the last two days have been days of thanks as well as petition.

I am one of those who has found a blessing in the pause.  Elizabeth and I had each planned three months of sabbatical time later this year, because we needed a real disruption to get off our track of overwork and routine, which had blocked any deeper creativity.  When COVID hit and plans were disrupted it was painful to see dates dropping away.  But now, we're creating that space here.  Our prayer and meal schedule is unchanged, but we've each found some room to relax and let our minds wander each day.

So I'm finally starting to write.  I kept looking for a good time to write each day, and I was constantly interrupted with "urgent" things coming from others.  Now I'm writing 5:30-6:30 most mornings, before Matins.  And sometimes there's time later in the day for more, but sometimes my "writing" takes place over a jigsaw puzzle or during a walk, as ideas and memories come to me.  (And I'm starting to post some things:  https://shanephelanswimming.blogspot.com.)

Now we're beginning to talk about what we want to create after the pause - the shape of our lives, how to maintain the space we're finding.  It will be a challenge, but one of the gifts of community is having others who remind you of your commitments.

Perhaps you have been finding some open space.  How does it feel?  Sometimes I'm still feeling a bit guilty as I sit over the puzzle, but I get over it.  God speaks to me, and I need to make space to listen and hear.  It looks like doing nothing - and it is!  It's letting God do something, equipping me to do what She would have me do.

Are you letting God work during this time?  What is She up to in you and around you?

No comments:

Post a Comment