Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Sunday of the Resurrection


Romans 6:3-11; Psalm 114; Mark 16:1-8

I love Mark’s Gospel because it keeps things real.  Later an ending was added, to tie up loose ends and make the point, but this is where Mark’s gospel originally ended.  The three women come to the tomb.  The stone is rolled back, and a young man in a white robe is sitting there.  He tells them Jesus has been raised.  He says, “Do not be alarmed or amazed.”  Uh huh!  Sure!  OK!  They do the only sensible thing - they run.

What would you do?  What would you do if you came to this tomb?

I’m not ready for the Resurrection.  I don’t think we can ever be ready for such a thing.

Today, as you celebrate an event for which you’ve been planning for days or weeks, an event we knew would come when we started, remember: the liturgies and the words are not the event.  The meals, Eucharistic and otherwise, are not the event.  We cannot schedule the Resurrection.

When we know, really know, that Christ is risen, it shakes us to our souls.  And we can’t plan this knowledge.  We can’t plan our own rebirth, or that of the world.  We can till the soil of our hearts, we can bring oils and spices and dedicate ourselves to God, but the timing of the fulfillment is not up to us.

The 50 days of Easter are just beginning.  Perhaps, on one of them, you will be surprised to find the risen Christ beside you, within you, among you.  May you have the grace to wait for the real thing and not settle for anyone else’s schedule.  May you look for what you do not know, and may you recognize Christ when s/he appears.

Today I finish my commitment to write every day.  This writing has certainly enriched me, and I hope it has you.  As we go forward, I commit to write about each Sunday’s readings, likely posted by Friday noon Eastern US time.  I hope to write at other times, at feasts or when I’m moved, but I can’t say yet.  Thank you for your messages of support.  May your journey be blessed as it continues to unfold.  God be with you!


Alleluia!  Christ is risen!  (Or so the women tell me . . . )

No comments:

Post a Comment