Friday, January 13, 2017

January 13


I'm back; did you miss me?  I had a wonderful retreat, filled with peace and new insight.  It's a real blessing to take retreat at the turning of the year.  Each year I review the year past, and I ask God to lead me into the new year.  I make a declaration about what that year will be for me - it's a way of focusing my attention, sometimes at an unconscious level. 

A declaration is not a resolution.  I can make and break those at record speed, and be discouraged when I fail or falter.  A declaration is about who I am, who I show up as.  Intentions around actions follow from my declaration.  Last year my declaration was “I am the healing power of love.”  And all year that showed up for me: not only as me bringing more love to others, but also being healed by love.  Declarations don’t always work in a linear way.  Being, not doing.  

This year, 2017, I’m keeping that declaration; I’m still working on healing through love.  But I’ve named the Year of Availability.  I want to be more available to people I know and love, and to people who come into my life.  I tend to fill up my calendar to where I'm not available to those spontaneous moments where God shows up, so part of this intention is cutting back on calendar appointments.  Ironic, isn't it?  In order to say yes, to be more available, I have to say no to a lot of things my ego thinks is a good idea.  I can already feel myself relaxing.  I still have the same things to do, and they will get done, but in a less driven way.  

Availability isn't just about my calendar, of course.  The deeper issue is my emotional and spiritual availability.  My intention is to be more open, more available to what others are saying and feeling.  This is important to me personally, but I'm also feeling urgent about availability on behalf of CMA.  2017 looks to be the year when others start to consider residential vocations with us, and I dearly want to be available to them.  It is my deepest desire to see a residential community, vowed and covenanted, temporary and life-long, living this joyful journey together.  I don't want to miss people who might be part of this dream, nor can we afford for me to be so driven about it that I can't discern well with those who approach.  So this year I'm declaring myself available - to God speaking in me and through others, and to you.  Let's see what happens!


Is there a declaration you want to make, a stand you want to take this year?  Who will you be in 2017?

No comments:

Post a Comment