Sunday, January 22, 2017

January 22: Third Sunday in Epiphany


Isaiah 9:1-4; Psalm 27:1, 5-13; 1 Corinthians 1:10-18; Matthew 4:12-23


There’s a lot comfort for me in these readings.  Of course, “comfort” derives from the Latin “con fort,” with strength; it used to mean forcing soldiers to move forward, not making them feel good.  That’s good news, given these readings.  There’s a lot of comfort here.

I hear Jesus calling me, every day.  Unfortunately, I don’t hear as clearly as Andrew and Peter and James and John; there’s more static for me, more chances to second-guess.  But I hear it, and I try to follow.  This call is not “comforting” in the comfortable sense; it is more like a poke in the behind, the other kind of comfort.  I am comforted in the peace that comes, even in the midst of the storm, when I do my best to follow.

The other kind of comfort comes for me when I read Paul’s reminder that “the message about the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.”  I’m not comforted by thinking of anyone perishing, though I know what he means; there is a kind of death by asphyxiation when we rely only on our reason to get us through.  No, the comfort comes in remembering that this foolish and crazy life I’ve followed may actually be life in the power of God.  It seems that way, as I look at the blossoming happening within me and around us here.  My rational mind would say, “Get a regular job!  Save money for yourself!  Who knows what’s going to happen?  You can’t count on anyone or anything to take care of you.”  But my soul, my heart that’s been captured by this giant love, says to trust and follow.  It says that if I stick close to Jesus things might get messy and scary, but I will find my life.  And so far my soul speaks crazy truth.


I don’t know what your path will take you to.  I do hope and pray that you will follow boldly and whole-heartedly.  For your sake, for the world’s sake, be a fool for Christ today.

No comments:

Post a Comment