Saturday, January 14, 2017

January 15: Martin Luther King Day


Second Sunday in Epiphany
Isaiah 49:1-7; 1 Corinthians 1:1-9; John 1:29-42

We had a great discussion at Coffee Table Communion this Friday, centered around this passage from Isaiah.  I had never really noticed the image of the servant speaker as a polished arrow in God's quiver.  After our Advent retreat on darkness and light, I see the quiver as a sort of womb.  The servant is a precious instrument, saved for a special purpose.

But the servant doesn't see that.  The servant feels like a failure, sees all his effort going to nothing.  And I think of the many people who have struggled for years to bring social justice and climate awareness to our attention, who have labored to feed and equip and honor others, who fear that all their efforts have been in vain.  I think of feminists of my generation who see women still abused and underpaid and overworked, of advocates for racial justice who see us sliding into new pits of old evil, of those who depend on others for their very survival who are watching the social fabric fray under them.  And I hear the servant: "I have labored in vain."

And now God says, "I will give you as a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth."  The promise stands, and expands.  The servant can't see the fruit of her labor, but the prophet calls her - calls us - to be faithful and steadfast and stand in hope.

This doesn't mean that we are going to see better times, or times that look better.  It means that God's picture is painted in colors I can't see, on a scope I can't grasp.  But I can trust that I am beloved, and aimed at a purpose.  God called me before I was born, and called you.  Time in the quiver is designed, like a womb, for maturation and strengthening.  There will come a time for each of us to find our voice, to speak clearly and strongly on behalf of the reign of God.  Perhaps that time is now.

Blessed Martin Luther King Jr., pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment