Thursday, June 1, 2017

June 1




Feast of the Visitation (transferred from yesterday)
1 Samuel 2:1-10; Psalm 113; Romans 12:9-16b; Luke 1:39-57

We had some chaos at home that made yesterday not a good day to celebrate this most blessed among feasts, so we’re doing it today.  I hope you all celebrated, but if not, you have another chance!

Today we remember Mary’s visit to Elizabeth after she’s learned she’s pregnant.  She arrives alone, likely afraid and confused about her future.  She may have encountered Gabriel, the angel of God, but I imagine a part of her wondered if she just made it up.  Elizabeth immediately changes her context and validates her faith.  She affirms that Mary is carrying a holy child, that she has been blessed.  Mary in turn sings the song of praise and power that has meant so much to so many (in fact, the Magnificat has been banned in Latin American countries where the rulers knew it was too empowering to be safe!).

So today we remember the power of community, of companions, to sustain us in our times of uncertainty.  Today I remember those, women and men, who saw something in me and called me blessed, or gifted, or beloved.  Thank you Mr. Rifkind and Mr. Wilhite (high school teachers); thank you Alan Garfunkel (college professor); thank you, faculty of the department of Political Science at UMass Amherst; thank you, Kaile Goodman; thank you, Bishop Beckwith; thank you, Don and Susan and Jim and Bob and all my coaches and mentors and sponsors.  Thank you, Elizabeth, for taking this journey with me and calling me blessed.  All of you are in the song I sing today.

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior.

Who sings to you?  Who calls out your song?  Thank them today.


No comments:

Post a Comment