Thursday, June 22, 2017

June 22



Gospel for the Eucharist: Matthew 6:7-15

“Lord, teach us how to pray.”  The disciples ask Jesus how to pray, and he begins by telling them how not to do it.  Don’t pile up empty phrases.  That part makes me wince, when I think of some of the collects (prayers that open or sum up our worship) that my branch of the Church uses.  Jesus says, keep it simple.  God knows what you need.  Remember that when you ask.

Then he tells them how to pray.  First, give glory to God.  Name God, honor and reverence God.  Ask for God’s will to be done, rather than all my desires.  Let me be on board with your purpose.  That actually sounds like enough.  But we need more, we divine/human animals.

We need food, physical sustenance.  (And we need shelter and other basics, which I suspect Jesus would include in this phrase.)  We don’t need to store it up; we just need enough for today.  So ask for that.  And remember, we’re asking for “our” bread; not just mine.  Give us, all, what we need for today.

And wipe our slate clean.  Help us start over every day, with one another and with God.  Let us remember that if we forgive, we will be forgiven - by you, if not by the other person.  Help us open to your healing grace.

And save us!  With all our good intentions, we are prone to temptation and confusion.  Deliver me, keep me safe from myself as well as “outside” threats.

Notice what’s not here: the closing that we say in church, giving power, glory, and honor to God forever.  Jesus doesn’t include that (although I was horrified to see that our Spanish Bible inserts it - talk about alternate facts!).  It’s been said at the beginning, simply.  The closing is a lovely phrase, not empty but not really simple either.

What might we learn from these instructions?
Prayer is pretty simple.  Just show up.  Don’t worry about fancy words.  Don't make a whole laundry list for God, who knows what we need already.  Prayer is more about getting in tune with God’s purpose than it is about telling God what to do.

I’d love to have something brilliant to say about this, but it would seem to betray the very point that Jesus is making.  It would be empty phrases, aimed at bringing me glory instead of God.  So if I am to be faithful to Jesus’ instructions, I’ll close here.

Here’s the version we use among the Companions, borrowed from the Order of St. Helena:

Our loving God in heaven, holy is your name.  May your reign come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven.  Give us today our daily bread.  Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us.  Save us from the time of trial, and deliver us from evil.  


May your prayers be simple, and your life be a sign of God’s power and love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment