Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Foolish Wisdom

I'm trying to come back to my normal routines after a month consumed with moving.  I'm glad to finally have a desk again, and a chance to reflect on Scripture.

A small joke on me:  Elizabeth and I have been reading through the World Wisdom Bible and the Epistles at Matins, rather than following the Episcopal office lectionary.  We're at the fourth chapter of First Corinthians.  Elizabeth has left for her long retreat, then I go away, so we agreed that while we're apart we will read the lectionary so we don't miss anything we want to discuss.  So this morning I opened the reading book, and we're starting First Corinthians!  I guess that's what I'm supposed to be reading these days.

And Paul reminds me again, in 1 Cor. 1:20-31, of the foolishness of the cross.  He doesn't pretend it makes sense by the standards of the world.  But he does call it the wisdom and power of God for those who are called to it.  I'm not going to go into who is called, or why we aren't all called.  But I'm pretty sure I'm called, because I experience the joy of this foolishness.  I revel in the crazy love of God, a love that makes me do crazy things.

What is the difference between the foolishness that is of God and just plain craziness?  It may seem that we can distinguish by the fruit, but that can be elusive.  If God's foolishness is wisdom, then it may be hard to judge whether the "fruit" of my life is sweet or sour.  Can it be as simple as listening for feelings of desolation or consolation?  No, because these can be influenced by many factors.

I think it may not be for me, for us, to judge this.  There may be community norms and understandings that help us see where we are flourishing and where we are in danger, but the real edge of Godly foolishness is likely to be where the norms are less secure and less binding.  Then we meet the real power of God, in trust and faithfulness.  We do our best, and pray:  God, keep me close. Whatever happens, let me know your presence and your love.

As we begin our adventure in a new place, the bills are mounting up.  The work load is bigger, household tasks multiply.  Fear can creep in.  But this whole ride these past five years have been one long exercise in foolish trust.  What a great life!

Where are you being called to foolishness?  Where is your wisdom constraining your vision?  Pray God for the courage to live in God's wisdom and power.  And let me know what you find!


No comments:

Post a Comment