Thursday, September 21, 2017

More Foolish Wisdom, or Wise Foolishness


Paul has been continuing his theme of wisdom, but with a twist.  After naming his message as foolishness, he says that he does indeed speak wisdom, "though it is not a wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age" (1 Cor. 2:6).  He speaks "God's wisdom, secret and hidden," given to him and to us through the Spirit.

Now, I am not a fan of esoteric doctrines or practices.  There's something there that sounds to me like exactly the kind of siren call that got the Corinthians in trouble, a lure away from humility and compassion to some sort of specialness.  But here the paradox of Christianity reveals itself again.

This secret and hidden wisdom is precisely the message of the cross.  Let go.  Stop judging one another.  Trust God past the bounds of reason.  This is not esoteric knowledge, which, as he says, "puffs up" (8:1); "anyone who claims to know something does not yet have the necessary knowledge" (8:2).  Just when I think I know the message of the Gospel, it escapes me!  Just when I'm ready to grasp it, it slips away.  I can only receive it in humility and patience.

I can't make a program out of this wisdom, this foolishness.  If I deliberately act like a fool to make a point about God, I'm claiming to know God's mind.  My "foolishness" is calculated and performed, a mask I've put on rather than a way of being with God.  So foolishness is never mine to claim, any more than wisdom is.  I have to lay aside my judgments of myself as well as others.

So what is left for me to do?  A lot.  Live my life.  Do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with God.  If I do that, I won't have time to worry about how I'm doing!  Oh, it's easier to examine myself and castigate myself for my failings than it is to live differently; but it's not nearly as rewarding.

So no questions for reflection.  Just go.  Do, love, walk.
God be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment