Friday, December 14, 2018

Wailing and Dancing




In today’s Eucharistic reading Matthew tells us of Jesus comparing those who resist his message to “children sitting in the market-places and calling to one another, “We played the flute for and you did not dance; we wailed, and you did not mourn”  (Matthew 11:16-19).  John came in his austerity and they said he had a demon.  Jesus comes in a more relaxed mode, and they call him a glutton and drunkard.  One way or another, they are determined to miss the point.

I don’t know about you, but I have often been determined to miss the message brought by another.  I’m not usually conscious of that at the time, though I might experience some unease.  Usually I’m just moving so fast I miss the feeling, and the message.  I don’t get it until something slows me down - some sort of mishap or disaster, or a more direct confrontation with another person.  Until then, I miss the point as long as I can.

When I do slow down and let the wisdom in, I can start to heal old wounds.  But first, there’s usually a painful reckoning, a soul surgery - or at least a biopsy! - that’s needed.  And of course, that’s what I’m resisting.   Healing means changing, turning, repenting.  It’s risky, letting God make me into something new - or something original, made new again.  It’s too risky.

But truly, wisdom is vindicated by her deeds.  I can cut myself out of the stream of life and love, I can refuse to join the party, but I can’t change the basic order of God’s world.  My choices do not change God; they only affect where I will be in relation to God.  Jesus is vindicated by his deeds.  Wisdom comes to the marketplace and calls (Proverbs 8:1-4).  Her offer is life and abundance.  Jesus calls us to life and abundance.

What is the message you’ve been resisting?  Will today be the the day you listen?

No comments:

Post a Comment