Friday, December 7, 2018

What Are You Waiting For?




As we move into Advent, the daily Eucharistic readings lead me to this question.  Yesterday we read Matthew 7:21-27, where Jesus disavows those who come in his name, working signs and wonders, but don’t live his words.  Today we read of Jesus healing two blind men (Matthew 9:27-31), in fulfillment of Isaiah’s promise that the blind will see (Isaiah 29:17-24).  But the healing is not the full promise, nor is it the point.  The point is that “they will sanctify the Holy One of Jacob, and will stand in awe of the God of Israel.  And those who err in spirit will come to understanding, and those who grumble will accept instruction.”

The miracles are not the point.  The miracles are signs of God’s presence.  They are meant to wake us up, to teach us, to call us to holy living.  If we cast out demons but don’t do justice, we have built our houses on sand.  If we are eloquent and call people to worship but we ourselves judge and abuse one another, we have not yet seen the promise.  If we feed the poor in order to look good, we miss out.  We remain in the dark, even if others find their way through the good works we do.

So today I’m praying for the deeper healing, the real promise.  I’m waiting for the appearance of Christ: I’m praying for the grace to discern the Christ that is already surrounding me and dwelling within me.  I’m praying to accept instruction, to come to understanding, to let God build my house a little more firmly.

What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment