Friday, February 20, 2015

Friday after Ash Wednesday

Friday
Isaiah 58:1-9a; Psalm 51:1-10; Matthew 9:10-17

The transformation we are called to during Lent - and every day - is not simply to practices of piety or worship.  Isaiah reminds us that transformation means changing our hearts, and changing how we treat the most vulnerable among us.  Fasting or worship that does not lead us to economic justice, to radical welcome and equality, is just posturing.  God calls us to fast from oppressing and exploiting others, from neglecting one another, from violence of all sorts.
In a past life I was an angry political activist and student of politics.  When I found Jesus I was so absorbed in my own relationship that I walked away from politics beyond reading the paper.  I found my way to helpful ministries, collecting food for food pantries and the like, but I never integrated my commitment to justice with my life as a “professional religious person.”
Now I have another chance.  I know that my best efforts come through words rather than hands-on work, but that means I have to struggle to educate myself and to share what I learn.  My spiritual formation this spring includes attending the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women meetings in March.  My blog that week will likely be about what I find there.  But long before, and long after, I need to study and listen and write about what I learn.  Please pray for me to listen to Isaiah.  I will pray that all of us, all who are reading and discussing these passages during Lent, will find new ways to integrate faith and action.

And be reassured: Jesus came to call the sinners.  When you fall down or fall short, know that you belong at the table along with those you have failed.  Come to the table - and bring someone else along!

No comments:

Post a Comment