Saturday, February 28, 2015

Saturday in the First Week


Deuteronomy 26:16-19; Psalm 119:1-8; Matthew 5:43-48

Well, yesterday I said that God will forgive if I open the door and turn to Her.  But today I’m a bit daunted.  Jesus ups the ante here.  It’s not enough to stop actively harming others or wishing them harm; I’m supposed to love those who persecute me, those who hate me.
Am I supposed to tell my lgbt friends to love the people who will their death?
Am I supposed to tell people of color to love the racists who lynch them with guns or through the legal system?
Am I supposed to tell abused women to love their abusers, or the victims of human trafficking to love their enslavers?
Maybe.  I think Jesus wants me to get there.

But first, Jesus wants me to love those who persecute me and those I care about.  I can’t tell others to do what I won’t.  So: 
Am I willing to love the boys who threw bottles at me when I was a young lesbian?  
Am I willing to love the people who wouldn’t serve us when I went to restaurants with an African-American friend?  
Am I willing to love the bankers who impoverish millions and live in luxury?  
Am I willing to love Congress when they cut funds for the most vulnerable?

I know Jesus is right, along with all the spiritual masters of all the religions.  I know that closing my heart poisons it.  But i don’t know if I’m willing today.
I’d love to be inspiring here, to be a good example, to explain why this is good advice, life-giving advice.  I know it is, but I’m just not sure I’m ready.
How about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment