Saturday, March 25, 2017

Fourth Sunday in Lent: Sermon at St. Gregory's Episcopal Church, Woodstock NY

1 Samuel 16:1-13; Psalm 23; Ephesians 5:8-14; John 9:1-41



In 12-Step groups, newcomers often ask how the program works.  The answer they might get is, “here’s how: HOW.   Honesty, open-mindedness, and willingness are the keys to new life.”
This is just as true in our faith lives as in recovery from addictions.  In fact, it’s only true for recovery because it uses this spiritual truth.  The only barrier to spiritual growth is the inability to learn HOW.
We see this with our story today.  This blind man – let’s call him Fred – does not ask for healing.  Jesus just decides to heal him to show God’s glory at work.  The disciples, like many people of the time, believe that blindness is a punishment for sin.  Today, many people think that addiction is a matter of bad character, of sin, that either should be punished or is bringing punishment from God.  But Jesus says, Fred didn’t sin.  God isn’t punishing him.  Blindness in Jesus’ world is an occasion for God to show power by healing, not by punishing.
So Jesus heals Fred.  It’s simple, really; he puts some mud on his eyes, mud made with his spit, and tells him to go wash.  It’s simple, and it’s wrong by the standards of good behavior.  It’s the Sabbath, for one thing; this is too much like work.  And it’s unclean, full of bodily mess and mud.  Only a desperate man, or a really willing one, would go along with this.  But Fred does, and he’s healed.
Now, Fred can’t explain what’s happened to him.  He can tell that it happened, but he can’t tell why or how.  But he knows that he was blind, and now he sees.  That puts him ahead of all his neighbors and the Pharisees.  They are so certain of what is what that they can’t admit that Fred is healed.  Maybe it’s not him.  Maybe he was never really blind.  Maybe – maybe anything!  Just not that Jesus healed him on the Sabbath.
And isn’t that like us lots of days?  We want God to make sense, even if it makes us blind to what God is doing among us.  Or maybe, in our heart of hearts, we don’t want to know what God is doing.
It’s no coincidence that Fred finds himself alone once he’s healed.  Often people who choose to recover, or who turn their lives around, find that their families and friends are less than thrilled.  It turns out that no one is sick alone.  We are part of systems, usually our families to start, where we each have a role and a function.  If anyone changes their part, everyone has to adjust.  If you start to behave differently, I might have to notice how I behave.  
So if I don’t want to look at my behavior, my best bet is to keep you doing what you’ve always done.

Fred tells his story.  I was blind but now I see.  This man put mud on my eyes and had me wash.  And instead of rejoicing, his parents get scared.  They know that Fred could be in trouble with the Pharisees, and they want to dodge that bullet.  So they step away from him.  The Pharisees are upset because if Jesus is from God, if he’s healing on the Sabbath, then they don’t understand God like they thought they did.  Instead of being honest, open-minded and willing, we have a bunch of people who are being shifty, stubborn, and closed.  

In his open-minded honest quest, Fred grows closer and closer to Jesus.  He starts out just saying, “This guy did this thing.”  They he’s pressed to have an opinion, and he says, “He’s a prophet.”  That’s quite a commitment.  But then he goes further.  Jesus asks him to believe in him, the Son of Man, and he does.  He knows what he’s seen – the first thing he’s seen in his life.  Fred has gone from reporting a fact to confessing faith.  This is the moment when he really gains his sight.

Notice that Fred tells his story over and over, but he doesn’t seem to convince anyone.  He doesn’t bring anyone else to Jesus.  But he shows us how sharing our faith story can help us grow.  Even if it doesn’t help anyone else, even if it annoys others, it makes us reflect on our faith and helps us grow.  

Let me encourage you this week to spend some time writing down your faith story.  You may not know much yet.  You may be like Fred at the beginning: “all I know is that he put mud on my eyes and had me wash.”  That may always be the bottom line for you, like my recovery is the bottom line for me everyday.  “All I know is that when I was lost and hopeless, something put this book in my hand and this friend by my side and led me to my first meeting.”  All I know is that I stumbled into a church to sit in a quiet place, and I came out feeling at peace.”  “All I know is that when I look up at the stars, I feel a loving God around me.”  Whatever your story, it is precious.  Write down what has happened to you and your beliefs.  Share it with someone if you like.  But whether you share it or not, tell yourself what has happened to you.  
And as you write, ask yourself, where do you fit in Fred’s story? 
With Fred, willing to confess what has happened to you even before you fully understand it?
With the parents, private believers but afraid of losing status or connections if you share in public?
With the Pharisees, committed to the institution over against new experience of God?
Honest, open-minded and willing: That’s how you will see God.


No comments:

Post a Comment