Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Thursday after Ash Wednesday


Deuteronomy 30:15-20; Psalm 1; Luke 9:18-25

Yesterday was a different sort of Ash Wednesday for me.  We aren’t living at the monastery as we did the previous years, and my day was not enclosed or quiet in the way it has been.  And I think that was a good thing.

First, we went to Christ the King Episcopal Church for the 7 am service.  Daily Eucharist at home is a wonderful thing, but Ash Wednesday needs more ceremony and more company.  There we heard the alternative first reading, from Isaiah 58 (see tomorrow’s readings), urging us to loose the bonds of injustice rather than practice piety.  We heard a powerful homily from the rector, Alison Quin.  

Then, rather than a day of silence, I went to the SUNY Ulster Food Pantry.  I distributed food, and ashes, and prayed with people.  So many people simply don't have the time, or the faith community, to begin Lent as they might like.  Being there with them felt like the fast that Isaiah talks about.

Today I fasted from the privilege of our quiet life.  I served others, and I took steps to be able to serve more people in the future.  I put mission and ministry ahead of my ideas of what is “fitting” for Ash Wednesday.  And under the activity was a deep peace.

I didn’t exactly take up my cross, if by that we mean some sort of suffering forebearance.  But if my cross is the instrument of my salvation, the hard road to fullness of life, then perhaps I lifted it a little.  I chose life, for myself and for others.


Do you have a picture of what holiness entails?  Does it ever get in the way of responding to those in need, or your own need?  Perhaps you want to lay that picture aside for Lent, and take up the cross that will lead you to new life instead.  Don’t let anyone tell you which cross is yours; love God, love your neighbor (that is, everyone), do what you can so that we thrive together.  I’ll see you on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment