Thursday, March 16, 2017

Friday in the Second Week


Genesis 37:3-4, 12-28; Psalm 105:16-22; Matthew 21:33-43


Jesus’ parable here is surely challenging.  I’d love to find something else to write about.   How about Joseph being attacked and sold by his brothers?  What a choice.

As I sat with the parable, I thought of how it is often taught as a parable against “the Jews.”  Some Christians like to think that they are the people producing the fruits, when the wicked Jews turned against God.  But that’s not how it reads.  The last few verses, which are not appointed today, tell who it’s aimed at.  “When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard his parables, they realized that he was speaking about them” (v. 45).  Not “the Jews,” but a certain sector, those who thought they had the monopoly on truth and righteousness.  And even then I wonder: Didn’t some of them take his words to heart?  Nicodemus did, according to John.  Surely not all of them were of one heart and mind.

Whoever Matthew’s Jesus is aiming this parable at, I need to sit with it and ask, where am I doing this?  Where am I collecting the produce of God’s harvest and not giving what is due?  Where am I stoning or killing the messengers sent to bring me back into relationship?   And why, exactly, am I doing that?

The root sin of Joseph’s brothers is envy.  Is envy at work among the tenants in the parable?  It may not be the message that the tenants objected to; maybe they just envied the messenger.  Who does he think he is, anyway?  The Son of God?

Where is envy at work in me?  I know it’s there.  When others manifest gifts that I lack, do I turn away without acknowledging it?  When others have messages from God that I don’t want to hear, do I turn away or diminish them?  

I believe in a variety of gifts, and I believe what Jesus says about exaltation and humiliation, but still: I want my gifts, and yours.  I want to be exalted.  I’m sorry, God, but there it is.  Have mercy on me, a sinner.





Where are you with this today?

No comments:

Post a Comment