Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Thursday in the Fourth Week


Exodus 32:7-14; Psalm 106:6-7,19-23; John 5:30-47


This story in Exodus cracks me up.  God is so human here, so like us.  “Your people have messed up.”  What happened to God’s covenant, God’s insistent call to Moses to take charge of these people?  It’s like a parent who, when a child causes trouble, tells their spouse, “Your child has done something wrong.”  Your people; not mine.

Moses isn’t having any.  He stands up to God, calling the Hebrews God’s people and reminding God of God’s role in the story.  He doesn’t defend what the people have done, but he calls on God to honor the promise.  And, in case the appeal to the covenant fails, Moses appeals to God’s pride.  “Do you want the neighbors to say you are a bad parent?”  Again, so human.  And God relents.

It’s tempting, when people are acting out or acting up, to disavow them.  I have struggled since last year’s election with saying, “Our President.”  I’m mindful of the bumper stickers over the years that read, “Don’t blame me; I voted for _____.”  But blame is not the point.  We are connected whether I like your behavior or not.  We are all in one boat.  You are all my people, whoever you vote for or whatever you do.  I don’t always like it, but I know it’s the saving truth.  Cutting off people is like cutting off a limb; the phantom pain is just as real, but now I’m left without an arm as well.

My impulse to abandon those who disappoint or infuriate me is as much a problem as anything the other might do.  Today I remember that even God is tempted to give up, but doesn’t in the end.  I also remember that sometimes an appeal to my pride, or that of others, might work when other commitments fail.  If I can accept my own humanity, and yours, I can better cooperate with God’s plan.


Is there someplace, someone you have disavowed?  Some part of yourself?  Go talk to God about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment