Thursday, December 25, 2014

Merry Christmas!

Christmas Day
(By now you’ve been to a Christmas Eve service (I hope!  I know some of you are sick or unable).  These are the readings for a Christmas morning Eucharist.) 

Isaiah 52:7-10; Psalm 98; Hebrews 1:1-4; John 1:1-14

“And the Word became flesh and lived among us”. 
The Word, God’s Wisdom, co-creator of all that is, became one of us.  Life and light, truth and glory and grace, shine out today.
All the hollowing, the emptying, the waiting of Advent, aims at being open to receive this glory today.  This glory so far exceeds our understanding and expectations that no words suffice.  Scriptures try, poets try, preachers try to our peril.  Musicians and artists try to find another language, and almost approach.  
But here, at the manger, we lay down our pens and brushes and instruments.  We offer them to the one who gave them to us, who now lies new and open and demanding.  We sit in silence.
Behold, I bring you tidings of great joy.  The Word becomes flesh.  O come, let us adore.



It has been a joy and a privilege to write for you this season.  I don’t know when I will resume, or how often; I’ll let you know.  Today, just accept my thanks for reading, for engaging, and for responding.  If this has been meaningful for you, I’d love to hear from you as I plan the future.  If it hasn’t, please accept my thanks for reading anyway.

If you'd like to see photos of our crèche, go to our facebook page: facebook.com/Companionsma.

Blessed, blessed Christmas to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment