Sunday, December 21, 2014

O Ruler of Nations

O Ruler of nations, and their desire, the Cornerstone, uniting both in one: come and save humankind, whom you formed of clay.
Zephaniah 3:14-18a; Psalm 33:1-5,20-22; Luke 1:39-45
(Note: I'm following the daily readings rather than the Sunday readings, because the Sunday Gospel is the same as yesterday's.)

"He shall judge between the nations, and shall arbitrate for many peoples; they shall beat their swords into ploughshares, and their spears into pruning-hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." Isaiah 2:4

Yes, that is my deep desire.  You are my deep desire, O Holy One.  I want to write about the meeting between Elizabeth and Mary told in today's Gospel - I want you all to read it - but today I have to write about the desire for peace.  
O, my heart!  I long for you, O God.  "My soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you, as in a barren and dry land where there is no water" (Ps. 63).  I long for your peace.  The clay of my body is dried up from crying, from water spent over your creation.  Come, Christ Jesus!  Come, Emmanuel!  Be with us now!  Bind us together, let us see you in one another.
Plow into my heart, furrow it with the seeds of peace.  Prune the growth of ego-fear, the demand for recognition and excess and domination.  Give us all the courage to lay down our arms.
Come and save us from ourselves. 
Come and save us from racial bigotry.  
Come and save the victims of human trafficking, and save their captors.  
Come and save the prisoners in solitary confinement and death row, and save their jailers and executioners.  
Come and save the predatory lenders and sweep down Wall Street, and save their victims.
Come and save the Taliban and ISIS and those they terrorize.  
Come and save the drunks and junkies and those who profit from their disease.  
Come and save the victims of Ebola and AIDS and malaria.  
Come and save those who overcharge for access to lifesaving drugs.  
Come and save those who work long hours and still can't pay their bills.  
Come and save us.
Please take from me the spirit of judgment and fear that becomes war.  Take from me disdain and contempt.  Make me a channel of your peace.  Yes, God, I want more.  I want you to touch all of us today, now.  But start with me.  Perhaps, if I can show the power of your love, others might want it and ask you too.

Come and save us.

No comments:

Post a Comment