Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Second Wednesday in Advent

Second Wednesday in Advent
Isaiah 40:25-31; Psalm 103:1-10; Matthew 11:28-30

Oh, I need to hear this today!  I need to hear that my strength will be renewed if I wait on God.  Or, as it actually says, that I will renew my strength.  Hmm.  That sounds different.  That sounds like my decision.  Who’s doing the renewing here?
I’m committed to doing yoga five mornings a week.  This weekend I was very busy and then very tired, so I missed two days in a row.  Then Monday came, and I had to do it.  I didn’t want to.  I wanted to stare out the window.  But I did it.  It wasn’t my best, strongest session, but I did it.  I asked God to give me the resolve to do it, and I did it.
Did I renew my strength, or did God renew me?
Does it matter?
Yes, I think it does.  I think I need both perspectives.
When I say God did it, I remember that I am not God, not sufficient unto myself.  I need to remember that.  I need to remember to ask for help.
But when I say I did it, I remember that I am an agent, not just a passive player.  I am a co-creator with God in my life.  God will not force me to do yoga, or pray, or write this blog, or do any of the things that nourish me and strengthen me for ministry.  God will not force me to read the paper or protest injustice or feed the hungry.  So I need to remember to give myself credit, and to hold myself accountable.  We care for and repair the world as stewards.  We aren't in charge, but we are essential.
Those who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength.  Those who watch, those who remember to look for signs of God’s presence, those who actively discern when to do yoga and when to sleep; they shall renew their strength.
What renewal do you need today?  What do you need to do to invite that renewal?  Ask God to help you choose it.


No comments:

Post a Comment