Sunday, December 14, 2014

Third Sunday in Advent

Third Sunday in Advent
Isaiah 61:1-4,8-11; Psalm 126; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24; John 1:6-8,19-28
(We could be reading the Magnificat today, but I think it's too early - save it!)

I have a long history with John the Baptist.  I love his example of humility, a humility that gave him the freedom to speak the truth without concern for consequences.  That is prophetic humility.  But here John denies that he is a prophet, as though claiming that title is too much like appointing yourself to office.  He is merely a voice crying in the wilderness.  He says, "Don't look at me.  Listen to the message."  He has to cry out whether or not anyone hears or heeds.  He baptizes because that is what he is called to do.  He asks for no guarantees of success, no impact statements or strategic plans.  He speaks and he baptizes.
As I write this blog each day, I wonder if I'm making an impact.  I check the numbers reported on Facebook - how many people saw this post?  How does it compare to other days? Is that an indication of what concerns people?  Facebook can't tell me what matters - are hearts being stirred, lives examined, actions initiated?  And Facebook can't tell me whether God wants me to do this.  For that I have to spend time in prayer.
When I read John's words I'm encouraged.  I'm a voice crying in the cyber-wilderness, "prepare the way of the Lord."  Prepare your heart, and prepare the world around you.  I am not much in this wilderness, but this is my voice.  It's the voice I've been given.  The message in my heart may not be the whole message, or the most eloquent or insightful message, but it's the message I've been given.
You are God's beloved child.  Nothing can break that or change it.  You are loved.  All of you, all of us.  Cruelty, mistreatment, neglect or hatred of yourselves or one another are breaking God's heart.
That's the message I've been given.  Prepare the way.  Love one another.
I can't say whether the Spirit of the Lord is upon me.  That's for others to decide.  Mine is to speak the message.
What's your message?

No comments:

Post a Comment