Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Second Tuesday in Advent

Second Tuesday in Advent
Year B: Amos 5:18-24; Psalm 50:7-15; Matthew 18:12-14
I’ve got a small case of whiplash here.  The Gospel reading sounds gentle and encouraging; if you’re a lost sheep, Jesus will go and find you.  (Of course, if you aren’t lost, you may be angry when Jesus goes off to find me.  That’s a different problem, another kind of lostness.)  
But this Gospel is paired with Micah’s warning about the day of the LORD, a day fraught with danger.  God warns the people that their liturgies and holy days will not save them unless and until the people live in justice and righteousness.  The day of the LORD is something to fear for those who do not repent and turn.
Perhaps the readings fit together after all.  Jesus may go and get that lost sheep, but he doesn’t say what that will be like for the sheep.  If you ever stayed out too late as a teenager, you know what I mean.  Your parents are relieved and rejoice that you made it home safely, but it’s likely they’ll show that relief by smacking you upside the head.  The sheep sees the shepherd and bleats with relief, but the shepherd picks up the sheep and says, “Just wait till we get home!”

Jesus, sometimes I’m so lost I don’t even know what to do.  In the darkness, I light candles and burn incense like smoke signals.  I sing songs to help you find me.  I know it’s not what you’re longing for, but it’s all I know sometimes.  Please, come and save me.  I don’t mind you yelling at me.  Send your prophets, help me repent.  Just don’t leave me out here alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment