Monday, March 30, 2015

Monday in Holy Week


Isaiah 42:1-9; Psalm 36:5-11; Hebrews 9:11-15; John 12:1-11

Today’s Gospel is so poignant, so powerful.  I wanted to show you - show you how Mary of Bethany loved Jesus, without pride or shame; show you how our passion is holy.  I wanted to show you that Jesus’ decision to wash the feet of the disciples follows from Mary being willing to anoint his feet.  I want to suggest that the extravagance of love that Jesus shows is met by Mary’s extravagance, in a way that the male disciples cannot yet understand or imagine.
But when I went to Google Images, nothing felt right.  Icons were too formal to convey the passion of this moment.  More “realistic” portrayals often showed only Mary and Jesus, as though Mary did this in private or with only Martha looking.  But it matters that the other disciples see it.  It matters that others see our passion for Jesus and for one another.
And the ones that were realistic, and showed the whole scene?  Well, some of them come close.  Those almost embarrassed me - showing me how far I still have to go to be comfortable with my passion.  
So here I am, stuck between my passion and the Passion.  Heart bursting with love and dread, unsure how to show either.  Unable - unwilling - to stop what’s coming, wanting only to love in whatever way each moment presents itself.  Bereft of words.
Who can I anoint in your place, Jesus?  How can I show you my love this week?  Will I make the time, take the time, to sit at your feet and honor what you are about to do?  Please, let me sail past the shoals of busyness and distraction and glide into your harbor of love.  
Buy some essential oil of myrrh and frankincense.  Open it.  Dab it lightly into your hands.  Touch someone you love - forehead, hands, feet.  We cannot touch Christ except through one another now.  Glide into the harbor of love.


No comments:

Post a Comment