Monday, March 2, 2015

Monday in the Second Week


Daniel 9:3-10; Psalm 79:1-9; Luke 6:27-38
Two days ago it was Matthew’s version; now Luke is telling of Jesus’ commands.  I want to say, “Oh, not again!”  But this is a sort of gift.  Having these two passages so close together gives me the chance to see what is new, what has changed for me over two days.  What can I see today that I could not see on Saturday?  
I will see some things differently because Luke’s version is different than Matthew’s.  It’s placed differently in the larger Gospel, and it includes lines that Matthew lacks, reflecting Luke’s particular concerns.  But I will see differently too because I am different today than I was two days ago.  Not necessarily better (though I’d love that to be true), but necessarily different.  My mood when I sit down with the readings is different.  I’ve had conversations and heard things these last two days that open some things and close others.  Hopefully, reading the reflection two days ago stimulated some thought on your part that leads you to see something differently.
Today I hear the call to be free.  Jesus shows me how to transform my life by changing my context.  I do want to be free from hatred and resentment.  I want to be free from fear of economic insecurity, the kind that makes me hoard my many sweaters and coats.  I want to know bountiful love.  
The measure I give will be the measure I get.  I want blessing: a good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over.  I get that by blessing.
I have a choice.  I can hang on to what I have and trust that somehow I’ll be safe and protected from the larger winds of the economy and politics.  But I know that’s foolish.  I don’t have enough, I won’t have enough, to thrive on my own.  The only safe road is to give and forgive, and hope that I will also be forgiven and receive.  I will be free.  I will be blessed.
God, help me live in the way you call me to live.  Help us all to be a community of love and reconciliation and sharing.  Make us a blessing.


No comments:

Post a Comment