Monday, November 13, 2017

Gratitude November 13

Today I'm grateful for the people who join me for spiritual "direction" - companionship, listening, reflection.  Many years ago my discovery of my monastic vocation coincided with hearing the call to be with others in this way.  For years, though, it didn't manifest.  I got some training, then got diverted into studying for the priesthood.  People came, then left.  I never felt like this ministry was developing, and I started to think I had been mistaken in my sense of call.

A few years ago I let go of some of my baggage around not being enough for this ministry.  Then, in the past year, as I stopped fighting my contemplative vocation (and some other things), suddenly people showed up.   The other day I realized I'm doing what I so wanted to do.  I think I had a lot of my own work to do before I could be available in the way others need, and I think it must show that I've been doing it.

I am so grateful that these people are with me: people earnestly searching for God, whether they are newcomers to that search or long-time journeyers.  I see what they are doing in the world, the difference they are making, and I'm grateful to be part of their journey.  I believe that part of my vocation is "equipping the saints for the work of ministry" (Ephesians 4:12), and it brings me joy to see that happen.

Thank you to all my mentors and directors over the years, and to all of you for your varied ministries.  God bless you today.

For what are you grateful today?

No comments:

Post a Comment