Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Gratitude November 28 and 29

I'm writing this ahead of time.  Tuesday and Wednesday we will be in silent retreat.  I'm grateful for the privilege of being able to take this time, and for the grace to avail myself of it.  If you have never made a silent retreat day, it can seem daunting; but let me encourage you to try.  Some people will join us tomorrow just for the day, dipping a toe in.

Making a retreat is not the same as being alone at home; many of us do that.  We turn off the devices and let our minds and hearts run to God.  That includes a lot of restlessness, even anxiety: what will I do for all that time?  Is it a waste of time?  What if I get bored?

Retreat is a great opportunity to find out what is really rattling around in your mind, what messages you are playing without knowing it, and to turn them over to God for healing.  It's not vacation, by any means; it's more like opening the windows and letting the Spirit blow through.  Brrr!  It's especially powerful as we approach Advent.

I will return on Thursday, God willing (it's a busy day) to end the month with you all.  I'm grateful for those who read, and for those who share, and for those who ponder and make their own gratitude lists.

For what are you grateful today?

No comments:

Post a Comment