Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Gratitude November 14

Today I'm grateful for Br. Aidan Owen, OHC.  He was ordained as a "transitional" deacon today (that means he expects to be ordained a priest next year).  He has been faithfully discerning both his monastic and his priestly vocations for at least ten years, and it was a joy to see him make his vows in this order of ministry.

The other day I gave thanks for commitment.  Today I give thanks for Aidan, and through him for those who honestly seek to discern and follow God's will.  Sometimes we think we know the plan, and we can rush forward and just push through obstacles.  Rather than discernment, this is strategy.  I know I've done this in my life, and I've seen others do it.  It isn't the path of life, no matter how good the goal is.

Real discernment takes trust and willingness and humility.  It's much more vulnerable than strategy or simple decision-making.  It requires us to listen to the voice of our communities as well as our inner contact, and accept their finding.  It can be painful.  It takes courage.

Thank you, God, for those with the courage to truly listen and discern and follow.  Give us all the grace to do likewise.


No comments:

Post a Comment