Thursday, November 16, 2017

Gratitude November 16



Today I'm grateful for people of conscience and courage.  Yesterday I saw the new movie about Mark Felt, the FBI agent who told the Washington Post about Watergate and the White House's involvement when the FBI was ordered to stop investigating.  He did not do this to hurt the agency, but to save its integrity and do the job he had dedicated his life to.  I give thanks for him.

I also give thanks to those who are making movies and writing books to help us remember.  We are in a new period of corruption and interference, a new constitutional crisis, and this time we do not have a Congress that will stand up to the President.  We need all the other instruments of civil society to demand that truth not be abandoned.  This is not about policies or personalities; this is about principles of free government.

I've been hearing many stories recently of people who stood up to those who would silence them, deny their humanity, or suppress the truth.  People wonder how they persevere.  I don't, actually.  I think, what else could they do?  They'd have to become someone else, someone for whom this value didn't matter.  It's like the pursuit of our relationship with God.  Why keep praying when prayer seems dry or pointless?  Well, what else can I do?  How, and why, would I walk away from the source  of my life?  What sort of life would I live without that?  It's not really a choice.

So I guess today I'm grateful for all those who persevere in hard causes for good ends.  All who contribute to the healing of the world, to tikkun slam.  Thank you.

For what are you grateful today?

No comments:

Post a Comment