Friday, November 24, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving! November 23



Today is an official day of giving thanks in the U.S.  Now, I'm contrary enough that I could resist being thankful on a day when I'm supposed to - but I won't.  Really every day is a day when I'm "supposed to" give thanks, when it behooves me to be grateful.  The only difference today is that some people who don't give thanks every day will join me, and join you, in our gratitude.  So I guess I'm grateful for those people . . .

I'm grateful for the friends who will join us for dinner tonight.  I'm grateful to be able to invite people, to host.  I'm grateful for the funds to buy a turkey and cook it.  I'm grateful for long underwear on a cold day.  I'm grateful for sun warming the chapel, and the geraniums, the lavender, the cactus blooming.

I'm grateful to God: to the Creator, the Source, for giving me this life, for wooing me until I gave in and fell in love.  I'm grateful to Jesus, who keeps teaching me how to be human and divine.  I'm grateful to the Holy Spirit, the first part of God I could get, who speaks in the wind and in my heart and mind.  I'm grateful to the whole darn Body of Christ, all its limbs and toes and fingers and capillaries.

God, please bless those who lack these gifts, or don't know how to receive them.  Make me part of your blessing them.  Use those who read this, fill them with your Spirit to love you and serve you.  Bring us to your banquet table.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment